Sunday, May 23, 2010

Horse Powered Potato Planting

A couple of weeks ago I agreed to plant 300 pounds of potatoes that were donated by High Mowing Seeds to the Vermont Food Bank. 250 lbs were "All Red" which were exactly what they sound like and 50 lbs were "Katahdin" - a yellow potato. I then proceeded to throw my back out and am still not in great shape. Luckily there's a lot of good people around!

On May 18th, Bruce Urie and I cut up the potatoes. On the 19th, Rick Thomas and a crew from Sterling College came and planted them with their draft horses! Both the potatoes and everyones time were donated and everyone involved deserves some major kudos.

I still need to plant 40 lbs of Yukon Gold's that I purchased because I forgot to take them up in time. They might wait til after tomatoes and peppers at this point.

Photos of the planting may be viewed here!

No comments:

Post a Comment