Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pepper transplants

Peppers got transplanted last weekend. Jess and I transplanted just over 350 of the little buggers into 50 packs. The bell peppers are ahead of the hot peppers but not by much. The Jimmy Nardello's (big red frying peppers) are somewhere in between.

I had a lot of dead spots in the pepper plug trays. It seemed to have more to do with where in the tray the plants were than what varieties were involved. I'm guessing it was a watering issue since I started them at home without a good way to water plug trays handy. I think next year those trays with 10 open rows in them might work better for starts.

I got an email last week from the VT Foodbank saying that High Mowing Seeds was donating a large amount of seed potatoes to people who would grow them for a food shelf in Vermont. I measured last weekends, rearranged all my plans and agreed to take 300 lbs for myself.

To help make room for potatoes I cut out or cut back on a lot of things that were either low on the food bank's priority list or high maintenance for me. Main crops are now tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, corn, broccoli, and onions. More than half the square footage of my garden is now succeptable to late blight which after last year is a bit terrifying.

I have started my summer work schedule as of 4:30pm and have Tuesday-Thursday off this week to work at the farm. I'm in a work training all of next week but other than that I don't work another 5 day week til the week before classes start in late August.

This week I need to:
  • Pick up potatoes from the food bank
  • Clean a spot in the hay loft where I can leave cut potatoes to dry
  • Mend the water hose that goes from the barn back to my garden
  • Prepare beds for onions (if the garden is plowed when I get there)
  • Get ready to plant potatoes (hopefully this weekend)

No comments:

Post a Comment