Monday, June 7, 2010

Updates

Thursday, June 3 I put in a little over a hundred tomatoes. 108 sounds familiar but don't quote me. I spaced the indeterminates at 2' on center and the determinates at 1.5'.

Friday I put in a little over 50 tomatoes. My lower back was pretty sore from trying to do it two days in a row so that was all I got done that day.

Saturday I got the last 30 in that I had picked out. I was hurrying against some clouds and accidentally planted everything at 1.5' even though there were some Jet Stars (indeterminate). I guess we'll see how they do! There was a big thunderstorm and the other side of town had a tornado right after that so I headed home. There are only room for 8 more which Bruce and I picked out and set aside. It should give me somewhere in the 260-270 range in 3 beds.

I got to work this morning to find 100 bamboo stakes waiting for me. I ordered them from TNFarmSupply for a little over $40 - They are not exactly local but it saved me probably a day worth of labor cutting and trimming saplings. The stakes will get put in every 2-3 plants and then everything will be woven together with twine as the plants grow.

I'm still waiting on another roll of plastic which will let me plant peppers. Tomorrow is going to be all about digging the beds and getting ready.

With my back limitations I've been able to do just about 1 full bed a day previously. When Jess and I were working together, my back never got too tired so I'm hoping that that will continue and I can get a little extra done tomorrow.

Temperatures over the next two nights are going down to the 30s. My fingers are crossed that it's the upper 30s since I have no way to cover the tomatoes.

1 comment:

  1. i'm scared to death it's going to frost stuff tonight, but i'm going to be stoical.

    that bamboo isn't local, but at least it's reusable. i still have bamboo posts that i was using before i had kids, so they're well over a decade old.

    ReplyDelete