Tuesday, February 8, 2011

And so it begins

I planted part of a starter tray with Alma Paprika seeds from Seed Savers tonight. It's now sitting on a heat mat with a humidity dome over it. I didn't count but I'm guessing somewhere around 100 seeds. I'm currently planning on planting about 50 plants and the rest will be for sale at Stillmeadow Gardens.

I'm planting these 15 days earlier than I did last year. I really liked these peppers but they had trouble ripening for me. They stayed at the yellow stage for what seemed like several weeks. Hopefully I'll get enough ripe ones to save seed this year!

I switched to using 20 row trays this year. They're a lot easier than the 288 cell trays I used last year! It was nice to just sprinkle some seeds into the rows instead of painstakingly putting them into one cell at a time. The main reason I switched was that I think they'll stay more consistently moist this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment